WinSCP is a file transfer program for Windows Client that uses Secure FTP. However, WinSCP isn’t available for mac users. Luckily, there are several WinSCP alternatives available for Mac users. Many of these programs emulate the functionality of WinSCP and can securely transfer files from a local computer to a remote one.
With the several WinSCP alternatives available, it can be challenging to select an effective app. So, if you’ve been searching for excellent alternatives, you’re at the right place. We’ll look at six alternatives to WinSCP for mac.
What is WinSCP?
WinSCP is a popular Windows OS file transfer client released in 2000. It is a free and open-source SFTP, FTP, WebDAV, S3, and secure copy protocol client for Windows. WinSCP enables the Windows client to use the secure copy protocol and easily transfer files via an encrypted protocol through a network.
WinSCP’s primary function is to transfer files quickly between the local and remote servers. It is among the best SSH File Transfer Protocol, Secure Copy, and File Transfer clients for Microsoft Windows. WinSCP also supports numerous Windows features, including dragging and dropping files.
6 Alternatives to WinSCP for Mac
Let’s look at 6 effective alternatives to WinSCP for mac users. We’ll discuss their best features and outline their pros and cons.
Cyberduck is a free and effective WinSCP equivalent for macOS. The user interface features a single-pane with dragging and dropping functionality.
Furthermore, Cyberduck bookmarks are saved as files that can be opened directly from the file finder for a faster connection. There is also an automatic folder syncing for better functionality. Overall, Cyberduck has an impressive number of features that are sure to intrigue mac users.
- Cyberduck is a free platform.
- This platform offers advanced features.
- Cyberduck offers file syncing functionality.
- Users need to use another app for encryption.
2) Commander One
This intuitive file browser is another excellent alternative to WinSCP for macOS. This program features a dual-pane design, advanced searching, file compression, and encryption.
File operations are queued in a processing queue which users can either review or cancel. Any FTP connection can be reconfigured anytime by logging in with another username. On top of that, the app can be customized to your liking.
- The dual-pane makes transferring files more convenient.
- Tabs and multiple parallel connections.
- This app offers data encryptions for more secure file transfers.
- FTP support requires upgrading to a Pro version.
- There is no auto sync feature available.
FileZilla is an advanced file transfer software. However, the design detracts from its functionality. The interface makes it more challenging to use as a GUI. However, some of its features are unavailable in any other WinSCP alternatives. FileZilla allows users to change many settings easily without entering the menu. Users can easily assess most features and the other features are accessible through the “Site Manager.”
- FileZilla is free and open-source software.
- This program features an operation queue.
- The interface could be improved.
4) Transmit 5
Transmit 5 is a Mac-only file transfer software that allows users to download, upload and manage files on thousands of servers using a user-friendly and functional user interface.
Users can connect to several new cloud services, including Dropbox, DreamObjects, Google Drive, Microsoft Azure, etc. Transmit 5 is well-known for its well-designed interface with a dual-pane and file Sync functionality. This allows users to mirror remote and local files with a single click.
- Transmit 5 supports several cloud services. As a result, offering more functionality.
- The improved sync enables users to execute more complex transfers.
- This software supports multiple workflows for quicker operations.
- This software can’t generate temporary Amazon S3 URLs.
- Transmit 5 lacks support for Google Cloud Storage.
ForkLift is a useful mac alternative for WinSCP. This program enables a quick transfer of files. This app offers a unique dual-pane interface, making usability more convenient. Forklift also supports FTP, SFTP, Amazon S3, and WebDAV transfers. Moreover, connecting with ForkLift is quick and straightforward, including features such as Batch editing, which saves users a lot of time.
- Forklift provides a Dual-Pane file management system.
- This software offers features such as a multi-file renaming tool, folder Sync, application remover, etc.
- Usability is hindered due to the limited keyboard functionality.
6) Captain FTP
Captain FTP checks all the necessary boxes for a reliable and effective FTP client. Thanks to their useful features, including Sync Browsing and many other options, this app offers users a simple interface but powerful performance.
Captain FTP offers features such as scheduled transfers, protocol presets, accelerated transfers, and so on. However, Captain FTP does not support transfers larger than 2GB. If that is not an issue for you, it will serve as an excellent File Manager and FTP client. As a result, this is a viable alternative to WinSCP for Mac.
- Captain FTP offers users several options for quicker and easier transfers.
- This software is easy to use.
- Captain FTP provides presets for certain protocols.
- This file transfer software doesn’t support transfers over 2GB
If you’re a Mac user, you can easily access any of these WinSCP alternatives and enjoy similar functions as WinSCP. So, experiment with these file transfer applications and select the app that best appeals to your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your computer’s security when running WinSCP is a major concern. Backdoor and Trojan Horse programs can hack passwords and private keys saved or entered on the computer. This can be problematic, so investing in an excellent antivirus is recommended.
WinSCP is a free open source FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, SCP client, and S3 client for Windows. Its primary function is to transfer files between local and remote computers. WinSCP also includes scripting and file management capabilities.