So, perhaps your PS4 has burnt out and won’t turn on, or maybe you sold it and can’t get to it, either way, you need to know how to deactivate a PS4 without waiting 6 months. If you don’t have access to the primary console, there is often up to a 6-month wait to deactivate. This problem is common for people who cannot use their primary PS4 for reasons such as:
- Sold the PlayStation without deactivating
- The PS4 has broken and can no longer be used
- Purchased a PS4 that has an account still active
We can look at a few simple-to-follow methods to remedy these issues.
Why Does a PS4 Have a 6-Month Deactivation Time?
In an attempt to prevent the theft and sale of stolen Playstations, Sony implemented a 6-month gap between deactivations on consoles. This is in an attempt to make the resale of stolen consoles harder and easier to spot. The six-month wait time is implemented after just deactivating a console. It can only be done once in that time period.
The easiest way to deactivate a PS4 is with the primary user’s login. Usually, if a console is bought legitimately, and the previous user has not deactivated it, contacting the previous owner to remedy the solution will be possible. In the case of a stolen console, this is a lot harder.
It is always good to ensure that you know that you purchased a PlayStation from a legitimate reseller or check that the previous account is deactivated first.
If you are selling your own PS4, you should ensure you deactivate it as your primary. It will save the buyer time and keep your credentials safe.
How to Deactivate a PlayStation 4
If you are looking to sell your PlayStation you can follow these steps to deactivate it as your primary console.
Deactivate using the console
- Navigate to Settings on your console
- Locate Account management; in this menu, select Activate Account
- Select the option to Deactivate Account
This simple process will immediately deactivate your primary console, and it will be ready for initialization before a sale.
- On the Sony website, log into your account
- Navigate to Account Management under the top-right menu
- Select Device Management > Playstation Consoles > Deactivate All Consoles
This method will log you out of all consoles but can only be done once every six months.
How to Deactivate PS4 Without Waiting 6 Months
If you have purchased a PlayStation 4 that is still logged in with an old user or have sold yours without deactivating, here are a few solutions to the problem.
– Contact the previous owner or buyer
The quickest and easiest method is to simply contact whoever sold you the console, or who you sold it to. You can request the login details or instruct them through the process above. This should result in the deactivation of the PS4 without waiting 6 months.
If you have no way of contacting anyone, due to the console being broken, or any other reason, then read on.
– Get in touch with customer support
This is the most common method to deactivate a PS4 without waiting 6 months. It requires some communication with their team. This may still take a few days, so be patient.
- Navigate to the PlayStation website
- Along the top bar, click on Support and select the Account option
- Choose the Accounts management option
- Select the Activation, console sharing, and deactivation option
- Choose the Deactivating your Playstation consoles
- At the bottom of this page, select Contact Playstation support
- The next page will ask you to fill in the reasons for contacting support
- Fill in the information in the pop-up window and request deactivation from the assistant
The assistants are usually available 24/7, but it is always worth checking their working hours in your country. The request may take a day or so to process.
– Contact your local Business Bureau
In the event that Sony can’t, or won’t, deactivate your account, it is possible to elevate the situation. Companies like the Better Business Bureau in the US, and Trading Standards in the UK ensure fair practices for consumers.
- Navigate to the Better Business Bureau website
- Open a complaint with the File a Complaint option
- In the set-by-step process, you will have to select the nature of your complaint
- On the next page, you will have to search for the company, it will be under Sony Interactive Entertainment, LLC
- You will be prompted to select the best course of action, choose File a Complaint
- A simple form with a number of questions will be presented. Make sure to fill in the details accurately. These will be questions about you and the nature of your complaint and the proposed outcome.
- Once your complaint has been filed you can expect a confirmation email with all your details
Companies such as these are designed to ensure that consumers’ rights are followed. This process will take time but is a failsafe to deactivate a PS4 without waiting 6 months. You will receive emails from both Sony and your trading standards provider with updates.